For Girl Scouts, we currently offer Journey programs for Daisies, Brownies and Juniors. We would happily provide Journeys for Cadets as well, if requested. We also offer:
- Pre-scheduled tours. The cost for general admission is $7 per scout. If a program/activity is scheduled, the cost is a minimum of $8 per scout depending on the program/activity.
- Troop meetings plus tour. Troop meetings can be held in our classroom, which holds approximately 32 people.
Afterwards, the scouts can tour the exhibits. Cost is $7 per person.
- Journey programs
. Journeyprograms are held throughout the year. See below for upcoming programs.
- Special Events
. Eachspring, we hold Punxsutawney Phil’s Weather Extravaganza, a 4-hour event for Girl Scouts. Also, if posted by Girl Scouts of Western PA, we offer Girl Scout Get Outdoors Winter Challenge Day and Get Outdoors Summer Challenge Day. See information below about both of these events.
Girl Scout Journey Programs & Special Events
Girl Scout Get Outdoors Fall Challenge Day – Cancelled due to low enrollment
Sat., November 16, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Cost per Scout: $11
Girl Scouts can check several activities off their challenge check list by attending this program. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Learn about photosynthesis and why leaves change color
- Learn about fall weather events, including hurricanes
- Learn the difference between a solstice and an equinox
- Go on a color hike to spot natural items that are yellow, orange, red and brown
- Collect five different leaves and identify them
- Drink hot apple cider outside
- Create leaf rubbings
- Taste test 4 different kinds of apples (and enjoy an apple snack)
Limit is 30 girls for this event, so sign up today! Last day to register is Friday, Nov. 8. The cost to attend is $11 per Girl Scout. To register, call 814-938-1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Girl Scout Get Outdoors Winter
Sat., January 4, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Cost: $5 per Scout
Girl Scouts at all levels can check several items off the Outdoor Winter Challenge list by attending this program. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Learn about frostbite and hypothermia;
- Identify winter constellations;
- Make paper snowflake cutouts;
- Learn about avalanches;
- Draw pictures of winter scenes;
- Make a Winter Nature Journal;
- Go on a 1/2-mile hike and nature walk;
- Identify trees;
- Look for bird nests;
- Watch for animals;
- Do a winter scavenger hunt;
- Drink hot chocolate outside.
Important Note: Girls will do the first 6 activities beginning at 10 a.m. at the Weather Discovery Center. The remaining activities, beginning with the walk, will be on the Mahoning Shadow Trail at the trailhead off Elk St. at the Thomas Barletta Skate Park. Girls must have their own transportation to the trailhead. Please dress appropriately for a winter walk!
A portion of the cost of this event is being underwritten by a generous donor who supports the idea of getting people of all ages to spend time out of doors.
The cost per Scout is just $5. Limit is 30 girls for this event, so pre-register by December 30 to 814-938-1000 or email@example.com.
Daisy Flower Garden Journey Day
Sat., April 18, 9 a.m. – noon
Cost per Scout: $15
Daisies can complete the three parts of the Daisy Flower Garden Journey by attending this program: Watering Can Award, Golden Honey Bee Award, and Amazing Daisy Award. Program includes closing garden party celebration and free time on the exhibits. Cost is $15 per person. Pre-register by April 8 to 814-938-1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Punxsutawney Phil’s Weather Extravaganza for Girl Scouts
Saturday, May 2, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Join us for adventure, learning and fun in the Weather Capital of the World! Start with a visit to the Weather Discovery Center and a walking tour of the Phantastic Phils Public Art. Then move onto Gobblers Knob for lunch, a walk on the trail and to meet Punxsutawney Phil! Click here to see the flyer, then register at gswpa.org